Okpebholo announces transfer of 14 suspects to Abuja over Edo attack on Kano-bound travellers

Date:

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has confirmed the transfer of 14 suspects arrested in connection with the brutal killing of Kano-bound travellers in Uromi Local Government Area to Abuja for further investigation.

The suspects were apprehended following a mob attack on a group of hunters en route to Kano for Sallah celebrations on Thursday.

Speaking during a condolence visit to Deputy Senate President Barau Jibrin in Abuja on Monday, Governor Okpebholo condemned the heinous act, assuring the nation that those responsible for the attack would be held accountable.

In addition, the governor revealed that his administration had established a committee aimed at providing support to the families of the victims, underscoring the state’s commitment to justice and assistance for the affected communities.

“It’s unfortunate that it happened in our state. We are here to say, to let you and other people know that we are not happy,” Ismail Mudashir, media aide to Barau, quoted Okpebholo as saying.

“The president is doing something drastic about this. He’s not happy also.

Read Also: IPOB urges vigilance following killings of 16 in Edo

“The IG has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge. So far, they have arrested 14 suspects.

“So they are bringing them to Abuja for interrogation. We have also set up a committee to see that we take care of the families of the deceased.”

Responding, Barau said the perpetrators of the act must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We cannot undo what has been done. But we all want – all Nigerians, what they are looking forward to is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice. And you are doing well in that direction,” Barau said.

“And I’m also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.

“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the facts.”

He urged the Edo government to ensure all those involved were held accountable, adding that such attacks must never happen again.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga freed after 56 days in kidnappers den

Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (rtd), ex-Director-General of the National Youth...

BREAKING: Tribunal confirms Okpebholo as Edo governor

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has upheld...

EPL: Chelsea suffer injury blow ahead of Tottenham clash

Chelsea have suffered a severe injury blow ahead of...

NAFDAC reopens Onitsha drug market, gives fresh notice to traders

The Director General of National Agency for Food Drug...